Go Back   Lynx - The Community Forums > The Discussion Corner > The Lounge [ Everything Else ]

The Lounge [ Everything Else ] This Is a Section That has Been Demanded By Few Members For Discussing Products Other Then What We Have .

Old 09-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
Amarbir
The Boss

Amarbir is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Amarbir Send a message via Yahoo to Amarbir Send a message via Skype™ to Amarbir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manjeet_g View Post
Here's review from headfi
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...1#post_6492051

(2C1) Head-Direct RE0

Details: Summer 2009 version of the RE0 IEM (cloth cable).
Current Price: $79 from Head-Direct.com (MSRP: $239)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 64 Ω | Sens: 100 dB | Freq: 16-22k Hz | Cord: 4.1' I-plug
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: Soundmagic PL30 foamies, De-Cored Shure Olives
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (3.5/5) - Spare filters, a nice selection of silicone tips (both single- and bi-flanges), and a shirt clip
Build Quality (4/5) – classy-looking and solid metal shell feels sturdy, but there are occasional reports of splitting. Cabling is properly-relieved and features an L-plug in the current version
Isolation (3.5/5) – above average, typical for a sealed straight-barrel IEM
Microphonics (3.5/5) – Low when worn over-the-ear, and still not bad when worn straight down
Comfort (4/5) – Housings are fairly small and light. Comfort hugely dependent on tips

Sound (9/10) – The overall sound is natural and boasts incredible clarity and top-notch separation in the average-sized soundstage. The high-end is incredibly detailed and seems to extend upwards endlessly. The microdetail in the treble is close to the best I have heard. Very impressive also is the apparent flatness of response. The mids have good clarity and are also incredibly detailed. They are very neutral with maybe just a hint of warmth, but lack lushness or liquidity. The lows are not huge in quantity, but very good in detail, extension, and control. These can drop below 35Hz and individual notes can be distinguished all the way down. Overall, it is a sound signature that makes it easy to both tune them into the background and pick out fine details, whichever strikes your fancy at the moment.

Amping: Like being amped, but don’t require it explicitly. High impedance rating is deceiving. Warm amp (e.g. T4) will make these more well-rounded for those who prefer a warmer, darker sound. A more powerful and transparent amp (such as a mini3) will take these to the next level, bringing to the table incredible speed and precision to match the best of the rest.

Value (10/10) – At $79, it is easy to recommend the RE0s as what is probably the best-value all-around earphone for the detail freak and accuracy lover. The RE0s’ sound signature is definitely not for everyone, but those looking for the absolute best accurate sound reproduction to be had in the realm of reasonably-priced IEMs will not be disappointed.

Pros: Top-tier sound quality for mid-fi money; superb detail, accuracy, separation, and clarity
Cons: May sound thin, boring, or bright to some, reported durability issues

(2C2) Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220

Details: Newer (2008) version of UE’s most expensive entry-level (MetroFi series) IEM
Current Price: $69.99 from B&H.com (MSRP: $79.99); $89.99 for 220vi with microphone
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 18 Ω | Sens: 103 dB | Freq: 20-16k Hz | Cable: 3.8’ I-plug
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock Single-flanges
Wear Style: Over-the-ear or straight down

Accessories (3/5) – Silicone single-flange tips (3 sizes) and a very convenient plastic carrying case
Build Quality (2.5/5) – Housings are completely plastic and feel somewhat cheap. Cable is sturdy but lacks strain reliefs on housing entry. Of note are the colored nozzles – red for right, gray for left
Isolation (3/5) – Ported and shallow-insertion might sound like a bad combination, but they isolate surprisingly well
Microphonics (3.5/5) – Not too bothersome even when worn straight down. A shirt clip would help.
Comfort (3.5/5) – Housing is too fat for deep insertion and the stems make it hard to wear them over-the-ear. Still very light & comfortable for me, but buyers with small ears beware

Sound (5.75/10) – Overall, the sound is smooth and slightly warm. The soundstage is wider than average, with decent separation and positioning. The detail is nothing to boast about, but not a definite weakness, either. The mids and highs are present, although the top end is rolled off. The definite selling point of these is the bass – it is smooth, deep, and very powerful. It creeps in on the lower mid-range but I definitely wouldn’t call it bloated, just a bit muddy. There is a mid-bass hump typical of middle-of-the-road earphones, but it is well-integrated into the entire sound signature. I really do like how natural the bass sounds on these despite not being perfect from a technical standpoint. These are a good gateway drug for the budget-minded bass lover.

Value (5/10) – At the $80 MSRP I feel that Ultimate Ears overshot the actual value of these by $30-40. They’re a very fun, tap-your-toes type earphone, delivering a dynamic sound signature with an emphasized low end and are quite competent all-around; it’s just too bad that the lower-tier entries by the likes of Nuforce and Meelectronics can do the same at a much lower price.

Pros: Very solid bass, fun sound, nice carrying case, shiny
Cons: Can be uncomfortable for some, hard to wear over-the-ear, mediocre build

(2C3) Klipsch Image S4 / S4i

Klipch S4i on left; S4 on right

Details: Klipsch’s latest mid-range model that has received overwhelmingly positive reviews both here at head-fi and in the mainstream press
Current Price: $79.99 from Amazon.com (MSRP: $79.99); $99.99 for S4i with microphone
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 18 Ω | Sens: 110 dB | Freq: 10-19k Hz | Cable: 4.2’ I-plug (S4i); 4.2’ L-plug (S4)
Nozzle Size: 3mm | Preferred tips: Stock Single-flanges
Wear Style: Over-the-ear or straight down

Accessories (3.5/5) – Silicone single-flange (3 sizes) and bi-flange tips, and metal carrying case (S4i instead includes a velvet carrying pouch and shirt clip)
Build Quality (4/5) – Housings are plastic but seem plenty sturdy and have articulated strain reliefs. Cable is a little thin for my liking but very flexible and doesn’t tangle much
Isolation (3.5/5) – Block out an above-average amount of external noise
Microphonics (4.5/5) – Nonexistent when worn over-the-ear. Noticeable but not too bad otherwise. Included shirt clip helps further
Comfort (4/5) – Easier to insert when worn cord-down. When worn over-the-ear fit is very similar to the JVC HA-FX300

Sound (7/10) – Coming from the RE0 these seem colored and very heavy at the low end, lacking in clarity and behind slightly in detail as well. After some solitary time with the S4, I think that they are interesting earphones that deliver heavy bass impact, strong mids, and decent treble. The bass can be too powerful and boomy for my liking, but that’s more of a personal issue - at least they don’t give me bass headaches. It’s not quite as tight as I would like, but can’t be called bloated either. I can see why this bass has mass appeal – it can easily satisfy the bass junkie without offending the audiophile. There is a very small amount bleed into the midrange, which is smooth and articulate, if a little off-neutral (leaning towards warmth). The treble that the S4s put out is the weak point for me – it lacks the sparkle and smoothness of the RE0 and (even after 200 hours) still sounds somewhat harsh and sibilant. Soundstaging is quite respectable but individual instruments can sometimes be harder to pick out than I would like.

On a final note, I had a small issue with the relatively low impedance and high sensitivity of these - they have a tendency to hiss slightly even with normally dead-silent Sansa Fuze, and the hiss with a crappy lineout like the one on my integrated speaker amp is downright unbearable. They are also fairly revealing of a poor source and recordings so I wouldn’t bother using them with an AM radio or that 96kbps webcast.

Value (7/10) – With a sound signature that can be appreciated by bass junkie, audiophile, and casual listener alike – and practicality to match – the S4s don’t lack in any area. However, as is often with FOTM earphones, the hype is excessive. For me, in terms of sound, the S4 lack the “wow” factor of the RE0, Phonak PFEs, and many others. That said, I still consider these good value for money despite the several issues I have with their sound.

Pros: Competent build, fit, and finish
Cons: Cables don’t inspire confidence, can be too bass heavy for some, hint of harshness/sibilance, prone to hissing
Manjeet ,
You Have So Many IEMS Why Not Write a Small REview for Lynx
Old 09-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
Manjeet_g

Manjeet_g is on a distinguished road

sure after i get IE8 and later buy a klipsch Custom 3 for my sis.
i'll write small review of them all.
Manjeet_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
Steve

Steve is on a distinguished road

I have used three Sennheiser CX 300 II, PX 100 and Brainwavz M2. So I can only Talk about these these three.

If I have to suggest among these three, I think I would be pretty confused. As all three are pretty awesome.

First, Brainwavz. Ok, have ever experienced power. or something called SPL. The sound pressure level. Now this is the king in this department. Never ever have I experienced bass of this kind. It literally blows. And if somebody wants to go deaf with using a stock ipod, this is ideal. It will make you deaf in half a n hour if you listen it at full full volume.
Jokes apart, all I can say is that this is an awesome headphone to have. Have you ever stood in front of a huge bass speaker (JBL, OHM, etc) at some rock concert. Thats the effect I am talking about. Simply mindblowing.

Now Sennheiser CX 300 II. This had different signature. It excels in mid tones and hi notes. And give rather excellent 3D sound. Its damn crisp and bright. In fact IMHO, it brighter than M2. But does it have an awesome bass. NO. Believe me, the bass is sufficient. And pretty sufficient.

Sennheiser PX 100. The reason I use these are that these are not in-canal earphones. These are headphones. And pretty decent ones. You see, some folks find in-canal ear phones un-comfortable. This one is for them. A very balance earphone. Much better than many in-canal ones. Bass, mid tones and trebles are excellent. These are the ones you can use for extended listening or watching a movie. Won't leave your ears paining.

Lastly, i think everybody must experience the sound before buying. Because everybody has different sensibilities.

Last edited by Steve; 09-10-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #14
rockin'dd

rockin'dd is on a distinguished road

thank you manjeet...after much deliberation i ve decided to go for the RE0s..alongwith the fiio e5...hope it works out well
n thanks to steve as well..
rockin'dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #15
Amarbir
The Boss

Send a message via MSN to Amarbir Send a message via Yahoo to Amarbir Send a message via Skype™ to Amarbir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manjeet_g View Post
sure after i get IE8 and later buy a klipsch Custom 3 for my sis.
i'll write small review of them all.
Manjeet ,
I Do not like your decision to buy the kave from rocat ,they are over hyped headphones ,Stick To

1 : Sennheiser IE8
2 : Kilpsch custom 3

I Just Sold a TripleFi To Ankit And I Am Shocked We Have To Moolah To Buy These Type of Earphones ,Well TripleFi is My Dream Earphones .Also I Would Like To Tell You that we have started small small deliveries from amazon USA to india And this is What i Am Getting For Myself

The Altec Lansing UHP336 Earphones

Well These Are The Ultimate Ear Earphones Made From Altec Lansing By them @ Half The Rate .These Are The Superfi 3 Earphones .My Shipment is On The Way From USa Office To India .
Old 09-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #16
Amarbir
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I have used three Sennheiser CX 300 II, PX 100 and Brainwavz M2. So I can only Talk about these these three.

If I have to suggest among these three, I think I would be pretty confused. As all three are pretty awesome.

First, Brainwavz. Ok, have ever experienced power. or something called SPL. The sound pressure level. Now this is the king in this department. Never ever have I experienced bass of this kind. It literally blows. And if somebody wants to go deaf with using a stock ipod, this is ideal. It will make you deaf in half a n hour if you listen it at full full volume.
Jokes apart, all I can say is that this is an awesome headphone to have. Have you ever stood in front of a huge bass speaker (JBL, OHM, etc) at some rock concert. Thats the effect I am talking about. Simply mindblowing.

Now Sennheiser CX 300 II. This had different signature. It excels in mid tones and hi notes. And give rather excellent 3D sound. Its damn crisp and bright. In fact IMHO, it brighter than M2. But does it have an awesome bass. NO. Believe me, the bass is sufficient. And pretty sufficient.

Sennheiser PX 100. The reason I use these are that these are not in-canal earphones. These are headphones. And pretty decent ones. You see, some folks find in-canal ear phones un-comfortable. This one is for them. A very balance earphone. Much better than many in-canal ones. Bass, mid tones and trebles are excellent. These are the ones you can use for extended listening or watching a movie. Won't leave your ears paining.

Lastly, i think everybody must experience the sound before buying. Because everybody has different sensibilities.
Well,
I got The same Sennheiser That Steve Talked About ,I Stole His For Some time frame .But Man i do not like the CX300-II though they are fine in all departments .The Brainwavz M2 Blows them Away ,The Bass as you mentioned is fine but i like the soundstage of this product better then any earphone i have listened till today ,The Mids And Highs Are Well Defined ,Though Extreme Highs It Reproduces Excellently But They Could Be Improved .Till Today They Are The Best of The Lot I Like I Am a little bass man too .
Old 09-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #17
Amarbir
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'dd View Post
thank you manjeet...after much deliberation i ve decided to go for the RE0s..alongwith the fiio e5...hope it works out well
n thanks to steve as well..
Well,
They Would Be a Collectors Item Once You Get Then Burn Them Well .Use this Software .

The Website -> http://www.burninwave.com/
The Software -> http://www.burninwave.com/generator_dl.htm

Old 09-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #18
rockin'dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarbir View Post
Well,
They Would Be a Collectors Item Once You Get Then Burn Them Well .Use this Software .

The Website -> http://www.burninwave.com/
The Software -> http://www.burninwave.com/generator_dl.htm

well bosss...already have that software...stil thank you for the info
Old 09-11-2010, 01:46 AM   #19
Amarbir
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'dd View Post
well bosss...already have that software...stil thank you for the info
Well,
I Am Still Waiting Its Still Not Come ,I Hate Indian Banks
Old 09-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #20
rockin'dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarbir View Post
Well,
I Am Still Waiting Its Still Not Come ,I Hate Indian Banks
yeah....i hate them too its closed for saturday too..can only deposit on monday
btw..how much burn in time do the RE0s need?